![]()
Sharman Hunter Wilson shared a link.
Jan 25, 2016 3:17am |
When
I was young, I unconsciously wanted my parents to be more firm with
me--I was actually envious of kids whose parents gave them curfews! My
dad was really soft-hearted, and my mom didn't want to be domineering
like she felt her own mother had been, so we were totally free-range
kids. Still, frugality reigned in our house of 8 kids, so we didn't end
up spoiled. Talking back to adults never occurred
to us either--we hadn't become disillusioned yet about the mess adults
were making of the world. I wonder if my teenage and young adulthood
watching screw-up after screw-up--the Vietnam War, Watergate, cops
fire-hosing little black kids, Chernobyl--made me realize that growing
up did not necessarily guarantee wisdom. Maybe the Information Age has
been inundating us with so much evidence of our own bungling for so long
that we have lost confidence in ourselves as capable adults worthy of
respect--and kids have picked up on it.
|
Monday, March 21, 2016
More on parenting:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment