Monday, March 21, 2016

I'm experimenting with putting some Facebook posts of mine up on my blog. Here's one from 2014 where I comment on an Exponent article.

I Hope You Stay
the-exponent.com
I know my capacity for empathy is limited by my own experiences (and lack thereof). I, like Melody, have so many reasons for hoping people stay, but I am also painfully aware of my capacity to pour salt on the wounds of the deeply wounded by expressing that hope. It's a conundrum of the highest level because when we love something, we want to share it with those we love. The fact that sometimes our own life-saving elixir could be poison to someone else is more than most of us can comprehend or even bear. I wonder if thinking of it in terms of something like food allergies might help. I love shrimp, peanut butter, and strawberries, and they are good and wholesome for my body, but would I offer them to someone deathly allergic, hoping they would eat them with as much gusto as I do? People sometimes get over allergies, but perhaps I'm showing my insensitivity and bias by thinking that would be a good thing. So much for metaphors. The more I try to understand anything, it seems, the more I realize that I see through a glass darkly, and the more I long to see as God sees and love as God loves.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! It worked! I copied the whole post from my Activity log. It even linked the article. Expect more of these. I am a very slow writer, so some posts, especially where I want to be as diplomatic and inoffensive as I can be, take me hours to write. I have so many conservative friends and family members who I love dearly and do not want to alienate. I hope they don't totally unfriend me, but instead just scroll over stuff they are uncomfortable with, because I try to put a variety of stuff up so I do not become a one trick pony. I have no control over what other people do, so I just have to respond to the world according to my limited understanding and conscience.

    ReplyDelete