![]()
Sharman Hunter Wilson shared a link.
Aug 07, 2014 2:45am |
Mormon missionaries and the stigma of early return - Flunking Sainthood
janariess.religionnews.com
So
much cultural and personal baggage regarding this issue! I hope the
attention this has been getting lately will smooth the way for those who
need to come home early. It is especially critical for those suffering
from mental health issues. It's well known that many of these illnesses
and disorders begin to show up in the late teens/early 20's; and that
they are often triggered by stressful situations.
Mission life is so radically different from anything young people have
ever experienced, it can throw even the healthiest of them for a loop.
For those predisposed to mental health challenges, it can pull the rug
right out from under their feet and send them into a downward slide that
can take years to recover from. The sooner they get help, the better,
and if that means going home for treatment, so be it. I've seen up close
and personal what can happen when someone feels obligated to "stick it
out" instead of asking for timely help, and I've been slammed by the
resultant landslide that has taken down with it so many of us who stood
close by. Please remember, Mormon folks, (as I switch metaphors) that
we're all in this boat together, and we need to toss this heavy baggage
off to keep us afloat!
|
Monday, March 21, 2016
Here's another Facebook post:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment